Monday, September 19, 2016

{Art Sisters} A layout for Scrap The Girls


I'm suuuuuuuper honored anytime a company, designer, or challenge invites to me part of their team. It always helps me re-establish the idea that I should be doing exactly what I am. 

I have recently taken a BIG sidestep in the artsy world moving from the memory saving aspect to the mixed media side.. it's where my heart really belongs. :) 

Then a month or two ago, Krisy from Scrap The Girls got a hold of me and asked if I'd be interested in doing a layout for their challenge. 


Well HECK YES I WOULD! I haven't scrapped in quite a while.. and a "Just for the girls" page was something I desperately needed anyways.. mama to a 5 year old boy really makes for a ton of masculine layouts. So Krisy then provided me with the following sketch : 



And I him & hawed over it for quite some time.. trying to nail down exactly what I wanted to do... I've been a bit obsessed over my gelli prints lately.. I've been inspired by the Gelli Arts blog and by Birgit Koopsen's gelli arts work.. then my friend Tina Walker did a fabulous piece with StencilGirl stencils & gelli prints.. but repurposing them in some found work.. PLUS my own art journaling students keep asking about different ways to incorporate gelli printing into other artworks and MAN oh MAN it all snowballed into this fantastic 12x12 :


Hopefully my art sister doesn't me plastering her face allover the interwebz!! bwaahahahaha. In May we got to attend the Paint Like An Artist workshop @ Donna Downey Studios and it was AAAAAMAZING. This is one of the photos we took. I'll probably be talking about this trip for YEARS!



The base of my layout is a piece of cardstock that's been collaged with some leftover underpaper. Then there's some awesome texture with heavy gesso and some glazing happening.




There's a bit of splattering happening occasionally...



My UmWowStudio chipboard colorwheels have been filled with various gelli prints! I use an 8x10 Gelli Arts printing plate, Dina Wakley / Ranger Ink heavy body acrylics, various stencils (The Crafter's Workshop, StencilGirl, Prima Marketing, UmWowStudio, Ranger Ink mostly) and usually plain white cardstock I buy in bulk at michaels. 



I also paid a little hommage to my art sister with some fun Zen Tangle INSPIRED patterned circles around my color wheels. I always top it off with some sketchy scribbly handwriting that commemorates the occasion. 



And then I framed our faces with one of my favorite designs for VLVS! the Doodle Border. LOVE IT. Pop on over to the Scrap The Girls blog and enter their challenge! They always have prizes prizes PRIZES :D 




2 comments:

  1. I just love that background! I haven't done gelli prints in a very long time...gonna have to give it another try. Very nicely done...as always!

    ReplyDelete