Monday, March 7, 2016

May Arts Pinterest Challenge

Hello everyone :)

Today I have an altered canvas board to share with you! Bethney (The Ribbon Lady for May Arts Ribbon) pinned some really fabulous spring themed projects a couple weeks back.. she invited fans of May Arts to repin / vote for their favorites.. and then the Ribbonista team was asked to take the favorite and interpret it in our way.

How fun right? Well I took the altered canvas / nature part and went to town. Here's my inspiration of the pin:




The background for the whole piece was a WHOLE lot of layering. I started with a canvas board for structure. Then I did 3 layers of Liquitex Gesso to really even out the surface. While the third layer was still wet, I applied some White Crochet Ribbon from May Arts across the entire length of the board. Then I gessoed two more times.. making sure the ribbon was thoroughly coated but not losing it's texture. I also did two layers of thick gesso in the middle.. I knew I was going to be working in some sort of nature aspect, and even though I wasn't sure WHAT exactly, I did know I needed a flat place to work. After everything was super dry and sturdy, I glazed it with raw umber golden fluid acrylic.


  
After the background was dry... (giving me plenty of time to think!) I did an image transfer using mat medium and this giant dragonfly. The wings were colored with two acrylic glazes of Golden's Fluid Acrylic.. turquoise and green gold. 


And lastly the sentiment is a stamp I designed for Viva Las VegaStamps! .. it's been stamped in Archival (Black Soot) by Ranger on a vintage piece of book text... I cut it apart and mat mediumed that baby down :) 


pssssssst >> If you're here a video - I apologize! Only a written example today <3 Stay tuned for one, though!

5 comments: