I am trying like hell to record more of my processes and get them up on youtube. At this point I'm still struggling with remembering to hit play and pause in all the right places. I also can't talk during the video due to my little guy, our dog, local noises, tvs and just a whole bunch of other things that never.work.out. It's ok though because it offers me the opportunity to voice over at a later date (usually very late at night whenever everyone is asleep, lol) and last night I got a little gutsy and went in search of some MUSIC to use in dead spots of the video. It makes me giddy :)
ANYWAYS >>> that's all to say that today's post includes a video tutorial basically from start to finish on a tag I made in duplicate for a tag swap that Viva Las VegaStamps! hosted in our facebook group.
I invite you now to watch the video tutorial
The base is canson watercolor paper -- have you tired of me saying that yet? I love starting on watercolor paper because chances are I'm going to cover it up anyways. It's heavy, thick, and can withstand just about most things I throw at it. It's been layered with music note paper, Golden matte medium, Blick Gesso, drywall tape and two Viva Las VegaStamps! rubber stamps I've designed in Archival Ink by Ranger: Numbers Set and the Waybill/Invoice Background.
More layers : some craft acrylic paints with Liquitex Glazing Medium, another layer of Blick Gesso and some coffee staining. Tip : keep a bottle of instant coffee like you do other sprays and mists. I reach for it the most! It adds the greatest vintage tone to all my projects. The dress from is the brand new chipboard Wire Cage Dress Form from UmWowStudio; it's been covered in VerDay paints to achieve the delicious rust and sprayed with a Krylon fixative to hold everything the paint in place.
The dress form is attached to the tag with a pamphlet stitch using some basic natural colored muslin. TIP : I always tear my fabrics for a little extra grunge. The Your Time As A Caterpillar sentiment from VLVS! sets the perfect tone for my entire tag; it's been stamped on plain white card with Archival Ink by Ranger (my go-to ink.) I glued it down with some basic Scotch two way adhesive.
And finally -- my little butterfly. It's been created by stamping the Small Gossamer Butterfly stamp from VLVS! on 3 different papers. They've been layered, sewn together, and adhered with Gel Medium to the knot on the muslin bow. To finish the tag I tied it with some May Arts Ribbon Silk in a carmel color. I adore the chunkiness / 3d aspect of my tag.. and really almost all my work ends up like this! Thank so much for joining me today -- let me know what you think :)