Monday, July 14, 2014

Chunky ATCs

I've joined the VLVS! Fans in a Chunky ATC swap. And they're AWESOME.

I've made a sort of "statement piece" but tried to keep it a little light. Here are tons of detail shots and info. But if you're interested in a bit of info about using more delicate papers in your mixed media works, Join me on the VLVS! blog for a Time2Stamp video.

Now. Onto my ATCs!
{photo info heavy}


The rules were 2 ATCs -- one for the VLVS! Retail store, and one to swap with another participant. The base for my ATCs is light colored pine wood that's been coated in coffee stain. Three of the four sides have been covered in a vintage Card Catalog Card that the dear Amy has sent me.



The card has been distressed with Distress Ink in Walnut Stain and water. I used two vintage drawer pulls from the wood section at Michaels (if you follow me on instagram @deedeecatron you'll have seen the power tools on my desk recently!) and some UmWowStudio Star Confetti to decorate the bottom portion of the front panel.



The kind of.. Shining Star of my ATC is a  Frozen Charlotte doll -- I ordered a set of them from Etsy and then molded them in Amazing Mold Putty so that I might use them over and over. The originals are sitting high up out of 3 year old reach ;) -- This doll is the 2nd smallest and has been cast in Amazing Casting Resin then splattered with coffee. It's held in place by adhesive, net and staples. Sort of a "body preservation" statement. The wings are Bat Wings from VLVS! and have been stamped in archival ink on vintage book paper. (That's the tip I talked about before.. visit VLVS's blog to see)



The right side is comprised of a piece of that card and a sneak peek at something coming to UmWowStudio soon!



The back is really great -- I didn't put any paper down, so that you might see all the hard work I did staining with coffee. It's really cool. I stamped with my new Clockface design from VLVS! Straight onto the wood for a really great grungy weathered look. More use out of my awesome Dymo Label Maker, and those big letters are the brand new DIY Printers Blocks from UmWowStudio.



The block bases have been painted with Distress Paint in Black Soot, and the letters have been left raw chip. I should say.... paint the bases before you adhere down the letters. Seems very "DUH" to me now, but I tried to adhered the letters first, and then was stuck painting in all the empty spaces. You can see some of them got a little dirty, lol.



The left side panel has a single stamp of the new vintage Penny Farthing from VLVS!, again in archival ink. If I don't use something permanent then I always smear it or make it run. With Archival I can stamp, heat set it, and then work on top of it with whatever I like. There's that NAUTICAL star sneak peek again ;)



 You can really get a good taste of the depth on these babies. I adore going 3D. I really do.



And one last final good looking shot of a single ATC.

6 comments:

  1. These are absolutely amazing! I am going to have to try molding my frozen charlotte dolls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first saw these on the VLVS blog and I was thinking then, and still think, that it is a shame you didn't make three. These would make killer bookends ( in your case on a very high shelf because they would be too tempting for a little person to examine).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete